The Webster Historical Society and the Webster Public Library are participants in the MUSE (MUseums Sharing Experiences) group. For 2017, this group is sponsoring exhibits and programs in commemoration of 100th anniversary of the United States’ entry into World War I.
There’s something for everyone: films, exhibits, community reads, book discussions, and a sing-along as well as presentations about chemical warfare, women’s suffrage, the flu pandemic, and the home front. For a complete schedule of events and exhibitions, please view the MUSE website, and especially the Event Schedule.
Webster plans to host 3 films and one presentation. These events are free, but donations are welcome. Mark your calendars!
- March 25, 2017, 2 pm (Saturday), Town Hall: “Sergeant York” This film, staring Gary Cooper, is a biographical work about Alvin York, one of the most decorated American soldiers of WWI.
- May 12, 2017, 6 pm (Friday), Town Hall: “Wings” This 1927 silent film won best picture for the first-ever Academy Awards. Presented with live organ music by Jeff Rapsis, this is a must-see!
- September 9, 2017, 2 pm (Saturday), Town Hall: “The Guns of August” This film was adapted from the book of the same name by Barbara Tuchman. Using original “moving pictures” to document events, the film is true to historic events.
- October 28, 2017, 2 pm (Saturday), Town Hall: “An American Nurse at War” plus presentations by local Historical Societies about Warner & Hopkinton WWI nurses.
Being accepted as an historic place by The National Register of Historic Places grants authenticity to many of our national treasures! The Webster, NH 1791 Meeting House was placed on this register in 1985 – and because of its age, it is in constant need of attention. Please visit if you are in the area – and leave a donation if possible.
Five ways to participate:
- Contribute your expertise- whatever your skill set!
- Give physical artifacts to the society!
- Loan physical artifacts to the society for special events!
- Volunteer your time at our Open House and other events!
- Allow us to scan and display your old photographs!
Five ways to donate:
- By check payable to Webster Historical Society; mail to Marj Blanchette, 12 Lake Road, Webster, NH 03303
- By credit card or PayPal: use donate button on the right
- By Go Fund Me, use this link: https://gofundme.com
- By a visit to the Old Meeting House: use the Donation Box