The Webster Historical Society was originally formed in 1940 as The Society for the Preservation of the Old Meeting House in Webster, NH. Its purpose was to save the building from destruction by the Blackwater Dam flood control project. In 1960, the Society became a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization and is registered on the GuideStar website. Membership dues and contributions are tax deductible.
The Society is responsible for the maintenance and preservation of the meeting house, the Hy-Mar Station, the reproduction horse shed, the Mast Wheels and numerous artifacts from past generations.
The Society for the Preservation of the Old Meeting House in Webster, NH is dedicated to the preservation and maintenance of this 1791 structure, the reproduction horse shed, and the Hy-Mar Museum. It strives to obtain, preserve, and exhibit historical memorabilia; and it seeks to promote historical interest in the town of Webster and the state of New Hampshire.
National Register of Historic Places
The Old Meeting House was added to this register in 1985. The National Register plaque, a picture of which is in the photo gallery, is on the right front corner of the building.
Officers & Trustees, elected September 2017
|President: Kim Fortune||Trustee: Janice Boynton 2018|
|Vice President: Alberta Snow||Trustee: Tara Gunnigle 2018|
|Secretary: Judy Jones||Trustee: Elaine Lary 2019|
|Treasurer: Barbara Corliss||Trustee: Carol Young 2019|
|Trustee: Cindy Farr 2020|
By-Laws, updated 2017
- Buildings and Grounds
- Programs, Publicity, and Social Media
- Web Presence and Digital Archives
- Funds for repairs to the Meeting House
- Lead-based paint removal from the Meeting House; repainting
- Community involvement
- Recruit new members
- Obtain estimates and bids for repairs
- Secure grants for repairs